SHCY OUTREACH GRANTS 2019-20
The SHCY will award two $500 grants and one $1500 grant for events that take place in 2019-2020.
The $500 grants will help defray expenses for speakers, workshops, and other scholarly events fully or partially devoted to the history of children and youth.
- Keynote speakers or panelists
- Printed materials
- Support for students attending the event
The $1500 grant will help offset the costs of a regional conference dedicated to the history of children and youth and held in 2019-20.
Application deadline for both grants: TBA
Terms of the grants:
- Applicants must be members of SHCY. (See http://shcyhome.org/membership/ for membership information.)
- Recipients of 2017-18 Outreach Grants cannot receive 2019-20 grants, and no one may apply for more than one 2014 grant.
- Funds will be distributed directly to host departments or institutions prior to the event.
- SHCY must be acknowledged as co-sponsor on all print and web-based materials and announcements, and, when appropriate, in speaker introductions. When possible, use the SHCY logo and link to the SHCY website.
- SHCY must be sent PDF’s or links to announcements and promotional materials before the event.
- A report must be submitted to the chairs of the Outreach Committee no later than thirty days after the funded event. It should consist of the following:
- Blog post describing the event for use on the SHCY website
- Summary of the attendance (size, makeup)
- Copy of appropriate printed materials or screenshots of websites
- Description of the actual expenses covered by the grant
Note: If the event funded by the grant is part of a larger conference or other function, the funded portion of the conference must be identified as discrete portions of the program and labeled as co-sponsored by SHCY.
One-page applications should be submitted as PDF files via email to the Outreach Committee Chair INSERT NAME. They should include:
- Date, location, and primary sponsor of event
- Description of audience (size, makeup)
- Total cost of event and other confirmed or potential funding sources
- Description of event that articulates how it contributes to all or part of SHCY’s mission: promoting the history of children and youth by supporting research about childhood, youth cultures, and the experience of young people across diverse times and places; fostering study across disciplinary and methodological boundaries; providing venues for scholars to communicate with one another; and promoting excellence in scholarship.
Note: The Committee may request additional information from applicants about their event and about the participants and intended audience.
The Outreach Committee will recommend awardees to the SHCY Executive Committee, which will make final decisions. Recipients of grants will be announced by November 18, 2018.
2017-19 Outreach Grant Winners
Catherine Jones (UC Santa Cruz) Outreach Chair. Members were Jule deGraffenried (Baylor University), Corrie Decker (UC, Davis). We decided to make extra awards for events based on available funds.
2 Regional Conferences: $1000 (history of children and youth, interdisciplinary/transnational):
- David M. Pomfret,“Childhood and Youth in a Global Age” 25-26 May 2018, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong S.A.R., China
- Bengt Sandin, Workshop on Child Rights Governance.
2 Scholarly events: $500 (speakers, workshops, etc.):
- Kelly Condit-Shrestha and Elizabeth Dillenburg, “Migration across Global Regimes of Childhood," Friday, September 21, 2018 at the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- Melissa Bryzycki: Graduate Student Conference: Intimate States: Family, Domestic Space, and the State: UC Santa Cruz.
2016 Outreach Grant Winners:
Conference, submitted by Dr. Gulay Yilmaz, Akdeniz University
Title: “History of Childhood in the Ottoman Empire,” 6-7 May 2016 at Akdeniz University, Antalya, Turkey
Symposium, submitted by Dr. Kristine Moruzi, Deakin University
Title: “Literary, Cultural, Social: (Re) Examining Historical Childhoods – An Australasian Society for the History of Children and Youth Symposium,”
7-8 November 2016 at Deakin University, Melbourne, Australia
2015 Outreach Grant Winners:
Two $500 grants were awarded to:
- Conference, submitted by Prof. Sabine Fruhstuck
“Child’s Play: Multi-sensory Histories of Children and Childhood in Japan and Beyond, University of California at Santa Barbara (Feb. 27-28, 2015)
Link to the conference report
- Conference, submitted by Dr. Sarah Emily Duff
“Making Modern Youth: Modernity and Categories of Age in Southern
Africa,” at the Wits Institute for Social and Economic Research,
University of Witswatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa” (Sept. 16-18, 2015)