Deadline Extended to March 1
The Society for the History of Children and Youth offers grants to
scholarly-event organizers every biennium
SHCY will award two $500 grants and one $1500 grant for events that take place in 2023–24
The $500 grants will help defray expenses incurred by hosts
for speakers, workshops, and other scholarly events
fully or partially devoted to the history of children and youth.
The $1500 grant will help offset the costs of holding a regional conference
dedicated to the history of children and youth and held in 2023–24.
- Keynote speakers or panelists
- Printed materials
- Support for students attending the event
Application deadline for both grants: March 1, 2023 (notice of decision May 1).
One-page applications should be submitted as PDF files via email to the Outreach Committee: Emily Bruce, Michael Grossberg, and Karen Sands-O’Connor.
- Date, location, and primary sponsor of event
- Description of audience (size, makeup)
- Total cost of event and other confirmed or potential funding sources
- Description of event that articulates how it contributes to all or part of SHCY’s mission: promoting the history of children and youth by supporting research about childhood, youth cultures, and the experience of young people across diverse times and places; fostering study across disciplinary and methodological boundaries; providing venues for scholars to communicate with one another; and promoting excellence in scholarship.
Eligibility and Terms of the grants:
- Applicants must be members of SHCY. (See http://shcyhome.org/
membership/ for membership information.)
- Recipients of 2022–23 Outreach Grants cannot receive 2023–24 grants, and no one may apply for more than one 2023–24 grant.
- Funds will be distributed directly to host departments or institutions prior to the event.
- SHCY must be acknowledged as co-sponsor on all print and web-based materials and announcements, and, when appropriate, in speaker introductions. When possible, use the SHCY logo and link to the SHCY website.
- SHCY must be sent PDFs or links to announcements and promotional materials before the event.
- A report must be submitted to the chairs of the Outreach Committee no later than thirty days after the funded event. It should consist of the following:
- Blog post describing the event for use on the SHCY website
- Summary of the attendance (size, makeup)
- Copy of appropriate printed materials or screenshots of websites
- Description of the actual expenses covered by the grant
Recipients of grants will be announced by M1, 2023